Okay I know I normally put little cute things about my kids on here but this is something EVERYONE should read and then think about how familiar it sounds and how relevant it is to America's current foriegn policy and how it is "presented" to Americans here at home....
"Why of course the people don't want war. . . . That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
--Hermann Goering, Nazi officer, during his Nuremberg war crimes trial
1 comment:
Interesting quote.
Although Germany was involved in ethnic cleansing while the U.S. in Iraq is involved in ridding a country of a dictatorship and establishing a Democracy (or at least that is what I hope is the purpose of the war).
Not that I am "pro" the war...b/c I don't really think any of us can know what is going on there unless we've been Iraq for ourselves to talk to the people and the U.S. soldiers.
I know you had an Uncle or something in Iraq so I'm sure you and your family have a lot of insight as to what is truly happening in there.
Reading Hermann Goering's words does really get you thinking, though. So, thanks for posting it :)
Sorry this is SUCH a long commment.
Post a Comment